[NAFEX] Winter moth in apple tree/Spinosad

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Sun Apr 16 13:33:04 EDT 2006

Ginda,
Sounds like you could have experienced Oriental Fruit Moth.  If so, this
pest overwinters as mature larvae inside cocoons, which are located in
protected areas on the tree or in debris near the base of the tree. In early
spring, the larvae pupate (transform into the nonfeeding stage where the
larva changes into an adult) and adults begin to emerge at about the time of
bloom. The adults lay eggs from which larvae hatch. These first-generation
caterpillars bore into new growth at the tips of tree branches. This
activity causes the branch tips to wilt (also known as "flagging") and die
back. Later in the season, after the branch tips harden, caterpillars enter
and feed in the fruit instead. While in the fruit and twigs, caterpillars
are protected from insecticides. Good early season control of adult moths
using insecticides will often provide control for the entire season.
Control: The presence of moths can be detected with the use of traps
containing pheromones (synthetic insect attractants).  Traps and lures are
available from http://www.greatlakesipm.com/ .  Permethrin sprays (such as,
Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-purpose Insect Control Concentrate or Dragon Lawn
& Garden Protector Concentrate) should be applied if an average of more than
10 moths per trap occurs. Do not apply permethrin within 14 days of harvest,
and do not apply more than 8 applications of permethrin per season for all
insect pests.  If you have bees, spray at night or early evening after the
bees have retired for the evening, which is when we do almost all of our
necessary pest sprays.

If you see anymore, get a picture to me if you can and I'll try to assist
with identification and control.  The oil should help, but if it is Oriental
Fruit Moth a permethrin based spray is the best for eradicating.  That also
goes for anyone else with disease or insect problems.  A picture is worth a
thousand words.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com