[NAFEX] Winter moth in apple tree/Spinosad

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Apr 16 10:53:52 EDT 2006

Update (yes, after one day):

Spinosad works better than Surround, for sure (at least for winter
moths).  The Surround did nothing at all, and every day the trees
looked worse.  Today I went out to check the tree where I saw damage
yesterday.  A couple of leaves had started to unfurl, and they seemed
no more damaged than yesterday.  I found an inactive caterpillar on
the inside of one, visible without moving the leaves - not hiding
safely inside the bud.  It's about 1.5mm long, and maybe 0.2mm wide,
about the same size as the one I dug out of a bud yesterday.  I will
cross my fingers and keep an eye on them.

Ginda