[NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Apr 13 12:25:10 EDT 2006

Comfrey is a two edged sword.  The fleshy roots do go DEEP and can
bring up minerals and break up hard soil.  Also, the leaves can be
mowed several times a year to make an excellent compost or mulch.  But
once you plant the stuff, it's nearly impossible to get out without
something like Roundup.  And don't even THINK of cultivating near it.
Cut and spread even a few roots and it'll get all over creation.  We
planted a small row near a fence and now can easily tell where the
gophers went by where comfrey comes up from the roots they moved around
in their tunnels.  And it's continuing to spread.  The only
non-chemical way to kill it is constant, repeated cultivation as soon
as it shows a leaf, until the roots are exhausted.  That can take a
couple of years.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.