[NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

Erdman, Jim ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Thu Apr 13 12:18:46 EDT 2006

________________________________

ginda asked:
>Has anyone planted daffodils or other bulbs under fruit trees?
>Daffodils do most of their business before the trees come into leaf,
>so the shade shouldn't be much of a problem.  But how badly do the
>daffodils compete with the trees for nutrients, and water?  I'm
>thinking of putting in some daffodils under my little apricot.

A couple of years ago I attended a workshop (might have been at the MOSES Organic Farming Conference in LaCrosse, WI) on permaculture   with hazelnuts and other nut and fruit trees, presented by Mark Shepard who lives in SW Wisconsin.  If I remember right, he used various bulbs and herbs under his trees, including daffodils and comfrey.  I'll have to look up my notes and handouts from the session, as the bulbs and comfreey are something that I want to try myself, in my orchard.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI