[NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Apr 12 15:20:49 EDT 2006

That was also my only concern with the idea.  The leaves produce the energy
for next year's bulbs, so they can't be mowed or placed in too much shade.
This shouldn't stop you - I'm doing a landscaping plan with mixed flowering
and ornamental plants beneath the fruit trees.  As the trees mature, and
shade increases, I'll lose some flowering - but I expect that, and other
plants will fill in as conditions change.  Some flowers are very thrifty
feeders, and those that don't should thrive without your having to change
your fertilizing schedule.  I've had decades of success with frequent light
feedings over the entire garden.  I don't concentrate fertilizer near trees,
but fertilize the grounds entire, covering anywhere the roots might roam.

I wouldn't have the bulbs in turf; as Lon said, you wouldn't be able to mow.
So plant amid a lower maintenance ground cover.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____