[NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Wed Apr 12 08:13:27 EDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

> Are you talking about a mulched flower bed beneath a tree?

Well, the area is already mulched, so there wouldn't be any added
benefit to the tree from that.

On Apr 12, 2006, at 7:57 AM, Matt Demmon wrote:
> I have not actually done this, but from my observations and readings,
> it seems like a good idea, actually. Bulbs are one of the things that
> various permaculture people advise planting in an orchard, for the
> precise reason that they do not compete with the trees, and assist in
> keeping out things that do. Most bulbs are completely dormant by the
> time the tree would be fruiting and under the highest heat and water
> stress. It seems like in my area, you often see areas in peoples lawns
> under trees where certain bulbs have naturalized around the trunk, and
> the grass is unable to grow in that location. Also some bulbs would
> provide nectar for early bees, feeding them before the fruit trees are
> in bloom.

Thanks.  Yes, they are completely dormant by the summer drought.  The
possible competition would be in the spring, when the tree is putting
out its initial growth for the year.  But you are right, they might
discourage weeds and grass from growing in the spring, and those
weeds compete with the tree much longer into the season.

I think this fall when I divide my daffodils a few will be going
under the tree.

Thanks,
Ginda