[NAFEX] mouse story (was Mulching Fruit Trees)

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:54:19 EDT 2006

White-footed mice, that is.  They are 90% or more of what I trap indoors.
The story is, all those nice apple & pear & even the Amelelanchier trays of
seed were beginning to germinate.  I was to be away for a long weekend in
which night freezes were forecast.  I opted to put the trays into a south- &
west-lit room.  I also snapped all the mousetraps, because I didn't want to
return to 3-day dead mice, and I hadn't caught any in 6 weeks anyway.

I returned to trays 50% or more destroyed.  Most of the emerged seedlings
had the tops clipped off, and many dug holes where other seedlings should
have been.  Loss will probably be 75-80%-- BEFORE any losses to seedling
blights.

And one dead white-footed mouse in the one trap I forgot to disable.  I did
not mourn its passing.