[NAFEX] lime sulfur(apricot tree rescue)

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Thu Apr 6 18:24:25 EDT 2006

Chris,
Canker, gumosis or bacterial canker are common infections in stone fruits,
especially peach and apricot.  Bacterial canker is, in my opinion, the
worst.  But any stone fruit tree that has gum oozing (gumosis) may not
necessarily have a disease, although it usually does.  The oozing gum is
also the tree's way of protecting itself from any bark damage and can be
quite common on peaches and apricots.  Unfortunately the gum is usually a
sign of progressively worse problems and it is hard to know without lab
tests.  The University of Wisconsin has a great pathology lab and the costs
are minimal. You can find them at  http://pddc.wisc.edu/index.html or google
"plant disease diagnostic clinic" for your state's clinic.

If it is gumosis, there is no chemical control for the disease.  Destroying
or removing dead trees and prunings can be helpful in reducing inoculum.  It
can spread through pruning shears, rain, weeds or wind.  A tree can survive
for several years with the disease, but will eventually lose its scaffolds
one by one as they become infected.  If you have trees with gumosis, prune
them in late spring as the wounds can heal faster and not be as likely to
pick up more infection from a blowing rain storm, etc.  Disinfect the shears
after each cut with bleach or vinegar so as not to spread the disease
through the shears.  If there is dead wood on the trunk and the tree is a
young tree, you can cut out the dead wood and seal with Tanglefoot
(http://www.tanglefoot.com/products/treeprune.htm).

If it is bacterial canker, use the same techniques as gumosis, but also
spray with copper-containing compounds for control.  Spray just before bud
swell as copper can injure stone fruit crops and do not use more than one
application.

If there is leucostoma canker present with the gum, then get on your knees
and pray!

How do I know all of this?  Been there, done that!  With over 1,000 peach
trees and 100 apricot trees as well as plum and aprium, we have experienced
it all.
Hope this may help someone.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard