[NAFEX] lime sulfur

mauch1 at aol.com mauch1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 15:02:45 EDT 2006

>I have a cherry tree with a fungal problem.  White mushrooms growing from
>tree trunk.

>Can lime/sulfur be added to latex paint, and painted directly on the fungi
>to kill them?

I have a similar problem with an apricot tree.  The tree is about 4-5 inches in diamter, and the visible fungi has spread to about half the trunk diameter and extends from the ground into where the tree begins branching.

Observation.  I too have the white fungi, though mine looks more like shelf fungi.  I believe they only came after the bark/tissue was already dead.  I believe the problem started when the tree received winter damage from cracking bark (warm sun followed by freezing temperatures).  The bark began to ooze.  I call this 'gummosis', but I believe this was only a symptom not the cause.  Possibly a bacterial infection?

What I'm planning to do.  I kept expecting the tree to die, but its been going on for 3 years like this, with the dead area gradually widening.  I think the healthy remaining tissue cannot recover as the moist/dead tissue is continuing to infect the healthy tissue, and the dead tissue blocks the regrowth.  So unless someone has a convincing anti-argument, I'm going to remove the diseased dead tissue/bark with a chisel.

This should allow the wood underneath to dry out and not remain a source of fungi.  The healthy tissue (theoretically), should be able to grow back over.  Thoughts are welcome.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation