[NAFEX] I want a fruit-storage cooler.

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Apr 6 10:44:31 EDT 2006

FWIW, the cooler itself is just a waterproof, well insulated room.  If
you feel like building it yourself, just build a freestanding shed with
studs that are 2x6 or wider.  Put it on a cement slab.  Use foam slabs
for insulation, and line the inside with marine plywood, and seal it
with several coats of marine polyurethane or epoxy.    Be sure to  have
the electrician wire it before you put in the insulation.  You also
need a small dry well outside for the drip line (condensation) from the
compressor.   If you can find a used cooler type door, that helps a
lot, though you can get by with a heavy solid core door if you put good
sealing around it.  You can also have the inside of the cooler sprayed
with foam insulation if you want extra protection.
Then just have the compressor installed.  The circulating fan is hung
inside and  a couple of holes for the lines from the compressor outside
are drilled to allow you to hook it up to the fan.   Seal around the
lines with poly foam  and you're ready to go.  Just be sure the
temperature doesn't go below freezing as this can make the soil under
the slab freeze and heave it up.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.