[NAFEX] Preventing early bloom - Donna's comment

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Thu Apr 6 07:13:46 EDT 2006

Hello,

How deep was the hay, and what was the diameter of the mulching?

If the mulch was very deep and covered a large area, it would have kept
the cold in the ground, like insulation.  This would postpone bloom.

Usually, the ground is alllowed to freeze before such cold trapping mulch
is applied.

But then you run the varmit girdling problems.

Some people have piled/packed snow very deeply to achieve the same result.

Later,
Tom