[NAFEX] Preventing early bloom - Donna's comment

Rondi nafex at mokalive.com
Wed Apr 5 22:31:13 EDT 2006

Donna's comments about her plums waiting reminded me about something I
noticed in my orchard this year. Most of my peaches are small and don't
have mulch around them, but my Contender that I bought and is taller I
mulched heavily with straw last year because of the drought we were
experiencing. I didn't pull it away during the winter because the
drought just never let up until two weeks ago. I noticed this spring
this tree was about 2 weeks late to blossom compared others in the
area. The only difference I can see is the mulch.

What I am wondering is if it would make sense to mulch trees that are
known to bloom before they ought to slow them down? Anyone else have
experience with this? I would like to hear other such experiences.

Thanks,

Rondi

    <The 23 degree freeze last week that harmed nothing except for peach
and plum blossoms has only   <increased my appreciation for native
trees like persimmons with some sense about Tennessee's <treacherous
springs.  Two plums with no old world blood in them waited till after
the freeze to bloom.

> Two plums with no old world blood in them waited till after the freeze
> to bloom.
"The right to life is the source of all rights--and the right to
property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no
other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own
effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no
means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of
his product, is a slave."
  -Ayn Rand