[NAFEX] Apple flavor

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Wed Apr 5 11:50:18 EDT 2006

Hello Jerry,

For those folks who prefer a soft dry apple, we have those varieties  like
Red Free, McIntosh,  Jonagored, Enterprise and Jonamac that begin to soften
about 4-6 weeks after harvest or are naturally softer varieties.

Apples stored in RA storage (Regular Atmospheric) even when treated with
Tsuami 100, will still break down and eventually rot.  Apples stored at 34 F
still produce ethylene and create heat which in turn breaks down the cell
structure which is what causes apples to soften and eventually rot.  To
avoid a cooler full of rotten apples in January or February, we give all of
our "still good" apples to the Society of St. Andrews for their food
pantries.  If we had CA storage (Controlled Atmospheric) we could store the
apples longer and extend our sales into the spring, but we do not need to
add the additional costs and overhead which would not be offset by the
additional sales, since only about 2% of our total sales comes from
wholesale.  We are only open from July through November 15 and sell via
internet through December 20 or so and after that we close for the season.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com