[NAFEX] Apple flavor

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 21:35:34 EDT 2006

>If this is true would it be best to wait until spring to purchase apples
>such as Fuji and Gold Rush if you don't care for tart apples? It almost
>sounds like apples that have been in storage for a few months have a very
>different taste than those fresh off the tree. For some reason this never
>really occured to me. Last winter I preferred Gala as the best supermarket

To which came the reply:

> There is nothing better than a fresh orchard picked apple for flavor and
> crispness.

That is one person's opinion. Maybe even the majority, but I happen to
support the first writer's idea that a fresh picked apple isn't at the peak of
flavor. Yes, the peak of crispness. My son likes a fresh Red Delicious and I accuse
him of not being able to differentiate texture from flavor. He doesn't care
for them when mealy ripe which I do. For myself, a Red Delicious apple ripened
in storage and no longer crisp is a delicious apple.  For my wife and I, a 60
day old Mutsu is the very best apple! Even Gold Rush becomes eatable after
storage.

Jerry