[NAFEX] Apple flavor

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Apr 3 14:58:15 EDT 2006

All the apples you purchase in the supermarket have come from storage of
some type.  And with over 2 million bushels in storage as an average going
into each new season, even some of the apples you get in the supermarket are
last years apples.  There is nothing better than a fresh orchard picked
apple for flavor and crispness.
The best time to purchase is from a local grower during the apple's
harvesting period.  If you go to http://www.acnursery.com/acn_apple.php
there is a pretty good ripening schedule that covers many varieties.  At
Royal Oak Farm Orchard, we do not store apples beyond December due to their
breaking down and becoming soft.  Most commercial growers use CA storage
(Controlled Atmospheric Storage) and can store some varieites up to 12
months.  This is what you get in the supermarket.

  Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com