[NAFEX] Early apples

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Apr 3 12:20:20 EDT 2006

We planted about 300 Ginger Gold on Bud 9 in April of 2004.  First fruit was
August of 2005 and it was spectacular.  It is the best early apple I have
ever tasted. sweet and crisp when harvested at its prime.  Out of the 300
trees we planted on Bud 9 rootstock, we only lost 5 due to the drought we
had in summer of 2005.  We will be training to a vertical axis with minimal
pruning.  It is a bit late for scion wood, since we have also started to
push buds and are in the peak of our spraying.  We have already had over 2
weeks of +50 degree days and have hit some low 60's here in 5A Northern
Illinois.

We also added Sansa to our summer apples at the same time.  They are a very
good early apple and have a sweet/tart flavor and we are looking at Zestar.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com