[NAFEX] Advice on drip irrigation

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Apr 2 23:16:25 EDT 2006

I've also had mediocre success with soaker hose.  After a season it
develops "leaks", and most of the water flows through a few spots.  I
put in some emitters last year.  I haven't tried turning them on yet
this year, but there's no visible winter damage.  They were great for
getting baby trees started.  I didn't even use a timer or anything -
just turned the system on when it had been dry for a while.

Long term, my climate is damp enough that I don't expect to need
irrigation for my trees.  I do plan to irrigate again this year,
because it was a very dry winter, and my trees were severely stressed
by caterpillars and deer last year, so they are still getting
started.  I am using the widest-spreading emitter in the catalog for
them, and I will irrigate rarely but deeply, in the hopes of
encouraging the roots to grow down.  Ask me in a few more years and
I'll let you know how it goes.

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6