[NAFEX] Advice on drip irrigation

Michelle Horner shelly2 at wi.rr.com
Sun Apr 2 22:06:19 EDT 2006

I only have 25 trees in a mixed dwarf orchard.  I thought I was being so
clever.  I mapped out and planned; permanently installed approximately 30 ft
per tree of soaker hose spiraled out from the trunk.  I pinned it into place
with wire earthpins that I hand made over winter.  I figured I could water 4
trees at a time with hoses from a 4 head diverter; even installed the
requisite pressure valve.  Covered the hose with 6 inches of straw mulch.
Did the same in several flower and hosta beds.  It was a complete bust.  It
took me two summers to be enthused enough to clear the detritus.  The soaker
hose was terrible; very irregular in its dripping patterns.  I'll do it
again with the more suggested drip heads.  I think they have improved these
a lot in the past 2 to 3 years.  They've developed reliable plugs for the
hosing if you need to move the drip heads, timers to turn on/off that are
easy to adjust for different times of the year (drought/wet), etc.  I just
need to redevelop the enthusiasm to reset the whole operation.  SIGH.
Please learn from my mistakes!

Michelle Horner  zone 4/5 SE WI