[NAFEX] persimmon recipes

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Wed Sep 28 17:07:28 EDT 2005

Here are some likely sources of good persimmon recipes:

The Persimmon Cookbook at http://members.aol.com/BLaneKY/persimm.htm has
a number of recipes that read very good.

Another good collection of recipes is at
http://recipes.epicurean.com/asc_results.jsp?title=Persimmon

Three persimmon pudding recipes that won first prize at the Mitchell,
Ind., Persimmon Festival are at
http://www.mitchell-indiana.org/pers_fes/2005/fest_ppud.htm

Finally, Dave Wilson nursery has a collection of recipes using kaki, or
oriental persimmons, at http://www.davewilson.com/persimmons.pdf.

I suggest you try native persimmons like those you've been lucky enough
to have been offered in any recipe in which the persimmons are pureed
and then cooked.  I say this because really ripe native persimmons are
VERY soft and probably not a good choice in a recipe
in which the fruit is not cooked.  -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.