[NAFEX] fruit bagging

Dave Griffin griffingardens at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 20 16:19:14 EDT 2005

Here in Frostbite Falls we thank our lucky stars that it was Rocky who was the bright one - Bullwinkle would be seriously dangerous if he had a big brain. Even as it is, his tendency to walk through rather than around the strongest fence makes him a formidable fruit "pest". This year it has been the Yogis and Boo Boos who have been the big problem even as far south as I am in the St. Cloud area of Central MN. Several friends in the area have had their beehives torn up and orchards taken apart. Imagine the damage done by a 400 # bear climbing into a young tree to get the fruit or, as one friend did, waking up to your seven young 8' tall Honeycrisps broken off, apparnetly so as to check for apples - there weren't any. The only protection is an electric fence with wires set 5" apart. If they don't get zapped directly on the snout they go right on through and I doubt the bags would deter them then.

Dave
Zone 4a