[NAFEX] fruit bagging

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:42:31 EDT 2005

The wildlife in the States must be awfully intelligent. I used to get
squirrel damage before bagging. For a two week period, the squirrels would
come and sample an apple; one chunk and spit it out - no different than
yesterday! With bagging, the deterrent appears overwhelming. I am tempted to
try it on my peaches next year, as long as the winter doesn't kill all my
flower buds. Bird pecks and wasp damage are also at a minimum - much much
less than totally bare.
 As for the zip lock, yes, there is an opening by the stem that I am sure
contributes to some contamination. For me, the damage is minimal. I have
removed bags that have half of the zip open and part of the apple is bare to
the elements - the apple was perfect! It seems that the most critical period
for the bags is when the apple is young and developing. The apple is covered
and I suspect cannot exude enough of its aromatic 'nectar' to entice the
little crawlies.
 When applying the zip lok, I have lost the odd apple because I slightly
twisted the apple. But the lock is never so tight that it "bites into the
stem". As for the "sail" effect. I would suggest that this enhances the
stability of the stem. The fruit stem is made of similar material as woody
stems. A stationary stem of an apple tree is definitely not as sturdy as one
that waves in the wind.
 JB
Can Zone 6b - just N of Toronto