[NAFEX] Apple Bagging and Plum Curcullio

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Tue Sep 20 08:20:02 EDT 2005

John,
   I have no apple fruit damage due to Plum Curcullio (PC).  I also grow
plums.  It has been my observation that apple growers, around here, Pequot
Lakes, MN, have no PC problems if they also grow plums.  Those who do not
also grow plums do have PC damage on their apples.  From my observations, I
would theorize that PC prefer plums, if plums are available and, if no plums
are available, they will attack any other fruit.
   I have eight domestic plum trees plus a few wild plum trees and my PC
damage on plums runs 10 to 20%, generally with one PC inhabiting one plum -
I do not spray my plum trees.  This year, and every so often, I get to break
their cycle.  The plum crop is a disaster.  Due to a prolonged cold spell
immediately after petals opened, the plum pollen died before the pistils
became receptive.  Consequently, I got less than 1% of the fruit I'd
normally get.  Instead of one PC per plum fruit, this year there were dozens
or more.  I got to break the PC cycle by picking all fruits and destroying
them before any PC hatch.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm