[NAFEX] fruit bagging

natelson at stehlinclinic.com natelson at stehlinclinic.com
Mon Sep 19 19:06:18 EDT 2005

Dear Stephen,

     Here in Houston, bagging with various materials worked well for me
for a few years, but the birds and squirrels soon realized the
vulnerability of the bagging system, regardless of the material used.
 This year I made bags out of aluminum screening material and
staples.  I would say this gave about 85% protection but was more
time consuming.  When the bag failed, it was because they gnawed a
perfect circle about 3" in diameter in it to get at the pear or
apple. The screen bags did deter the birds, however.  Next year I
will try the zip lock bag plus the screening.

                              Regards, Ethan