[NAFEX] Apple Bagging Update

Doc Lisenby longdistshtr at shtc.net
Sun Sep 18 14:16:11 EDT 2005

I just returned from China/Tibet where I witnessed mass fruit bagging.  I
didn't get a chance to discuss the subject with fruit growers, but did
notice use of plastic and paper bags.  The paper looked like it was the type
made from rice straw and the plastic bags were ventilated with many small
holes.  I only saw a small sample (maybe 20 acres) of trees, so maybe there
are other methods using other bags.  There were thousands of fruit trees in
many small orchards and bagging of fruit was used on practically all of
them.
I am going to Japan in March and maybe I can look into their bagging
methods. I have discussed the methods with fruit growers there but have not
seen exactly what they do and how they do it. I know they use a relatively
expensive double rice paper bag which is somewhat difficult to apply to the
stem.
I have had some success, but like others, experienced the moisture/water
problem with plastic bags.
I suspect that the type plastic used and also the type paper used is
paramount to successful fruit bagging. It maybe that all plastic bags must
be ventilated by very small holes. Cutting the corners off was less than
satisfactory for me. Zip Loc bags present a problem because of their failure
to seal the fruit stem completely even with Don Yellman's suggestion of
trimming off the top edge of the bag.
I have seen where women's socklets work well.  Mike McConky at edible
landscapes is going to introduce a waxed paper bag soon or so I've heard.
Jim, congratulations on your bagging success.  I hope you will continue to
be successful with your Zip Loc bags.  Food Lion's Reclosable Storage Bags
are less expensive.
Doc  in SC