[NAFEX] Apple Storage?

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Sun Sep 11 18:49:47 EDT 2005

Tom,
One of the things I tell people is that doing things "the way that professionals do them" is often the opposite of the simple way.

You sure have an interesting idea.  However, the 80-20 principle is in effect all day long.  Meaning, the economics of fruit growing are so marginal that we have to find the easy way many times to see ourselves gaining a profit.  In any case, the energy-intensive methods of professional apple storage may soon go the way the tomato growing industry in Massachusetts went after oil prices rose in the early 1970's.

You didn't say where you live...but here in Massachusetts the hidden underground storage bunkers of earlier civilizations exist here and there and can be frequently accessed and rented for just a few dollars a month.  Their conditions are 95% humidity and if properly ventilated, during winter 35-40 degrees, plenty to get your fruit from harvest into the January markets when prices are high.

Sure you can spend much more to extend storage into april...but that's where the 80% cost comes into play and that's where it becomes unprofitable.  Aim for the January market for 20% of the effort and be happy.

Charlie Paradise z5 Massachusetts