[NAFEX] Apple Storage?

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sun Sep 11 15:09:39 EDT 2005

People are certainly working on CO2-based storage.  It works great, but hard
to do at home and keep the CO2 from being displaced by O2 when you get
access to the food.  And a little dangerous, as I say in the last paragraph.

CO2 does like to stay low and pooled, but I don't know if the bioactivity of
the apples and the permeability of the bag would allow levels to stay high
enough to give you longer storage.  You could do an experiment and see how
it goes.

If I were to try, I think I might try a plastic-lined crate, put some dry
ice in and wait, with the lid open, for the CO2 to displace the air, and
then add my apples and close the lid.  With a chest-type box, you should be
able to grab some apples without disturbing the atmosphere.

One caution when trying any of this - CO2 is odorless and gives you no
oxygen.  You can become affected (disoriented and dizzy) by high CO2 levels
in four seconds, and unconscious in 12, maybe less.  So don't even so much
as stick your nose near a container of CO2 without taking a deep breath of
real air first and holding it in.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate