[NAFEX] Fruit usage

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Fri Sep 9 13:18:21 EDT 2005

Hello,

For Pomona...

Not sure how unusual this is, but it is a good use of fruit...

For lunch I made myself some tomato soup.  Instead of adding any sugar to
balance the acid of the tomatoes, I tossed in some peaches.  It worked
great.

Recipe:

5 lb Tomatoes
3 ea large peaches
1 ea  Large chopped onion

2 tb Olive oil (or more)
1 ts Oregano
1 ts Basil
1 ts Thyme
3/4 ts Salt
1 ts Garlic powder (or 2-3 crushed clove of garlic)

In a large saucepan put a little oil and lightly brown the onion.  Half or
quarter all the tomatoes and peaches,adding them to saucepan.  Add a 1/2
cup of water and cook over medium heat till very soft.

Run the soft, cooked tomatoes through a food mill or strainer to remove
seeds and skins.  Return strained juice to the saucepan on medium heat.

Add all remaining ingrediants and simmer until it is thickened as you like.

Simmer it enough and you will have tomato sauce for pasta.  If you
preserve it, add additional acid in the form of lemon juice.  I think
about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 5 pounds of tomatoes for canning.
Also, do not add olive oil if you plan on preserving.  Add the olive oil
when you reheat the preserves for use.

Later,
Tom