[NAFEX] Gooseberry on Jostaberry graft new question

Ribes60 at aol.com Ribes60 at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 10:39:38 EDT 2005

Charlie, I would consider grafting to Josta rootstock IF it were not so
prone to suckering. I still think that there are some good points to grafting to
elevate the desired part of the plant. and I think that other forms of grafts
may increase the "takes" to a satisfactory level. There are still some
down-sides. A plant may be totally lost if the rootstock dies for some reason. I
think that grafted plants did not have as long a lifespan as plants on their
own  roots.

I created somewhat the same effect (Taller plants with a "tree - like"  stem)
by keeping the lower branches trimmeed off and encouraging the plant  to a
more upright form on a trellis.
That said, I will probably graft some gooseberries this coming spring
because I have some that I want to increase.

Ed  Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A