[NAFEX] Gooseberry on Jostaberry graft new question

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Tue Sep 6 09:34:25 EDT 2005

You might be interested in what I wrote in my new book Uncommon
Fruits for Every Garden (Timber Press, 2004):

             Clove currant (Ribes odoratum, and the closely related
R. aureum, both uncommon fruits of this book), Worcesterberry (R.
divaricatum, with edible fruit, incidentally), and R. sanguineum
provide suitable rootstocks and trunks for tree-form gooseberries. Be
warned that clones of clove currant vary in their compatibility with
gooseberry scions and in the vigor, and hence yield, they confer to
those scions. In a Hungarian study, clones named ‘Fritsche’ and
‘Brecht’ were best for rootstocks.

Although I have not yet tried it myself, it seems that Ribes aureum
would make a particularly suitable rootstock. My R. aureum plants are
much more upright growing than either R. odoratum or josta, and also
tend to sucker less.

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com
Books by Lee Reich: