[NAFEX] More project continuity ideas

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Sun Sep 4 23:32:51 EDT 2005

Oh yes forgot something whilst I talked all about me again,
Elwyn Meader, famous UNH plant breeder, admitted openly that many of "his"
discoveries or breeding successes were actually more like finishing projects that
others had started. Meader worked closely with a mentor breeder named Albert
Yaeger, who is co-credited with Reliance and another peach which was also
supposedly hardy but is much less known. Sunapee it is called and I have never
eaten it or seen it (if anyone has this peach PLEASE COMMENT!!). But apparently the
breeding material came from someone else's selections and maybe also Yaeger. Meader
and Yaeger took the peach pits and continued selections to Reliance. Over and over
again this was the case, which is one of the reasons much of Meader's work remained
unnamed at his retirement. It was others that named most of his work "Meader".
SO if you have something special, track down a trustworthy public or private sector
breeder, and maybe let them have at it. Maybe your contribution gets lost in time,
but you know, eventually it all will. Take Albert Yaeger for example: he developed
the Buttercup squash, as well as lots of other things and you never hear of the guy.
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine
On Thu Aug 25 16:17 , 'tanis cuff' <tanistanis at hotmail.com> sent: