[NAFEX] project continuity/ contingency plans

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Sun Sep 4 22:52:28 EDT 2005

Hi Tanis,
I have been trying to get "in" with a few places recently to establish
a "collection" of things I find interesting. My first idea is a high school/primary
school/junior high situation where I try to offer my horticultural interests as
free decoration within a current landscape plan. Of course all plants are free as
well as my advice on how to care for them and place them. Seems a possibility in
schools with an enviromental awareness class or activity. Offering to work with
classes and do demonstrations of whatever horticultural you are interested in helps
too. This approach is better with ornamentals, but I hope fruit tree can fit into
this idea as well. I have had limited success thus far, with one specimen planting
installed at a high school campus in my area. My stipulations are I can have access
to the plantings at anytime for propagation.
My other idea has been to work with municipal dept or community garden clubs to
distribute plants into public plantings, display gardens, and enthusiastic
backyards. Willingness to speak at garden club workshops about your hobby and
demonstrate propagation techniques is needed. I am experiencing some succes in
these areas. Universities a sometimes an option, but I haven't seen that to be the
case at our largest state U. The campus plan keeps changing and there is little
promise that specimen plantings will not fall victim to foot-traffic or the axe in
a few years. The university is considering a campus wide arboretum plan, which
designs for plantings of this type, but they are not there yet.
I think a person must be satisfied with having their discoveries or works in more
than one place. You have to be offering some excellent, unique, and well-known
works for a whole collection in one place to be established. To me, the best goal
is to get the variety or species into commerce. I am working with a nursery much
larger than my own to offer any cool plants I bump into. I get no money out of
this. Of course they will only attempt to sell the ones they think are possible
sellers, but, hey, in a few years those few offerings could be in someone's
backyard, without them even knowing my name. I actually get joy out of that idea of
anonymous beauty or edibility. The patenting technique is good, but I like the idea
of someone liking the plant so much that they give propagated plants away to
friends and family as gifts. Even if something losses its ID and just becomes a
family, local, or regional favorite with a generalized name, I think that would be
great! Just as long as it is still kicking. I like people liking things so much,
they don't bother with details. That is when would know I found something good. But
to footnote all this, I really don't know if I have anything good yet!
Not much success thus far, but I have only been working at finding a few places for
2 years,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Thu Aug 25 16:17 , 'tanis cuff' <tanistanis at hotmail.com> sent: