[NAFEX] Kaolin, and Nature's balance

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Sun Sep 4 21:58:02 EDT 2005

Well All,
 I have made myself a fool, with Nature the lesson provider. Remember my cocky
assertions that Kaolin clay could be applied in different forms and methods and
achieve better Plum Curculio control? The success I thought I was seeing from my
dabblings were only a mirror of Nature's cycles working in my favor. Plum Curculio
was almost non-existant (I found two all Spring) in my region of Maine, with both
treated and untreated trees coming out 99.9% free of Curc bites. This means what I
thought was working was just a result of an "open" winter (for the first half of
winter that is). And the same thing happened last summer/spring when I had light
damage. Our well below average cold Spring also probably affected their emergence,
but I have only my own observations (at this point not to be trusted). I am
beginning to understand the value of long-term duplicated study. I'll try it again
next year, and I will be trying Kaolin again straight, rather than Surround..
 The benefit of Nature's winter-kill of Curulio is a blessing. Poor pollination
resulted in light fruit set, but with no Curculio damage, and very light Codling
Moth damage, there is still plenty of fruit. I do not have a sense of overall
flavor quality after such a cold Spring and cool late Summer. I hope the last two
winters have impacted the breeding populations for a few years to come, but if that
is the case my dabbling will be worthless. Ate Chenango Strawberry, Ginger Gold,
Duchess, Yellow Transparent, and what I think is Liveland or Lowland Raspberry thus
far.
 Has anyone else eaten this apple? Can someone comment on whether L. Raspberry has
a great intense flavor? This apple purporting to be L. Raspberry that I ate is the
best flavored early apple I have ever eaten. The descriptions are relatively the
same, and pictures likewise, but I find no mention of the good flavor in the
references I have. Really could be described as raspberry-like.
Hope everyone is well and enjoying Harvest,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine