[NAFEX] fruit-growing, rebuilding a city

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sun Sep 4 04:06:02 EDT 2005

It's not salt water in New Orleans, it's lake water.  Storm surge saltwater
came ashore on the coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida.  I had
wondered about salt damage of plants after other hurricanes and the tsunami.
Plants adapted to those coastal areas seem to handle such surges reasonably
well.

Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Olenio
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 9:54 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit-growing, rebuilding a city

Hi,

How much of that water in New Orleans is saltwater?

Huricanes pick up water and carry it inland.  If salt levels in the soil
rise due to this movement of saltwater, or if saltwater breeched the levy
system, soil concerns and salt toxicity come to mind.

I have never been to New Orleans, so possibly someone else is better
informed.

Later,
Tom