[NAFEX] fruit-growing, rebuilding a city

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Sat Sep 3 14:58:05 EDT 2005

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:29:21 +0000, you wrote:

>Questions I'm wondering about-- How much help could back-yard growers be, or
>is this only a large-scale thing, because of logistics?  What can a zone 4/5
>back-yard grower do to help w/ zone 7/8 fruit plantings?  If we can't
>actually grow anything, should we be thinking of eventually offering money,
>and if so, to what groups?

For the time being - the short term - I would recommend
either the Red Cross or Salvation Army: I know that both are
on the scene and will play major continuing roles.

http://www.redcross.org

http://www.salvationarmy.org

For the longer run:  The Garden Writer's Association (GWA)
has the 'Plant a Row for the Hungry' project.

http://www.gardenwriters.org/Par/

Maybe NAFEX could start a similar project?  'Plant a Tree
for the Hungry'?  'Plant a Fruit Tree in a City' ?

Or - if not a totally separate effort - maybe collaborate
with the GWA?

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania