[NAFEX] What U Can Do

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Sep 2 18:28:36 EDT 2005

Doreen,

Thanks so much.  This is exactly the resource I think people were looking
for.

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Doreen Howard
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 3:24 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] What U Can Do

I've been following the thread about Katrina and have a practical suggestion

for those who grow fruit and have extras. Donate it to America's Second
Harvest food pantries in your area. Go to their website to find a pantry
near you or go to www.gardenwriters.org/par

The network is huge and is always moving food around the country to where
it's needed--now, specifically to the hurricane damage area. America's
Second Harvest has the infrastructure--warehouses across the country and a
huge fleet of truck. If you donate 500 pounds of apples in Iowa, it will be
transported to LA or Mississippi within 72 hours.

As national coordinator for Plant a Row for the Hungry, I've worked with
America's Second Harvest for nearly a decade. They make a huge difference in

hunger in this country. They are and will be transporting tons of food to
Red Cross feeding stations and to staging areas.

This is what you can do as a fruit grower or a vegetable gardener.
Doreen Howard