[NAFEX] apomixis (from persimmon discussion)

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:05:43 EST 2005

I thought some people might be interested in a definition of this
word. I had no idea what it meant, and since I had come across it
several times recently, I looked it up. There is a longer definition
and some examples if you follow the link.

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
In botany, apomixis is biological reproduction without fertilization,
nor meiosis, with the result that the seeds are genetically identical
to the parent plant. An apomict or apomictic plant is an organism
which chiefly reproduces this way. Although the evolutionary
advantages of sexual reproduction are lost, apomixis does pass along
traits fortuitous for individual evolutionary fitness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apomixis