[NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 07:05:57 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/27/2005 8:08:51 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
list at ginda.us writes:

> Has anyone tried importing Kaki seeds or other material from the
> northern edge of its natural range?  There's often a zone or two
> difference in the hardiness of plants depending on where the parent
> stock originated.

Hi Ginda,

Yes, about four years ago I had a Chinaman send me about 12 kaki seed from
north of Beijing. I asked for seeds from undomesticated kaki. Brought them in
legally through APHIS. They croaked the first winter and I mulched to protect
the shallow roots that first winter.

Jerry