[NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Nov 27 18:05:05 EST 2005

Some years ago I asked someone who was going to Korea to see if they
could get seed from the most northern persimmons there.  What I got
turned out to be Diospyros lotus, which is usually used as a rootstock
for D. Kaki.  From what I found, it is used for fruit there (in Korea).
  None of the seedlings has started to bear as yet, though.  If they
ever do, I'll offer seed to try as hardy rootstocks to help in marginal
Kaki areas.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.