[NAFEX] Fruit Antivirals

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Fri Nov 25 16:25:23 EST 2005

Hello,

I have bben doing research on the antiviral effects of black currants.  To
my surprise I learned that one of the key components of Tamiflu comes from
Star Anise.  It can grown up to zone 7, but is frost sensitive.  You can
read more about that here;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/17/AR2005111701855.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Illicium+anisatum&CAN=LATIND

Evidently, a variety of black currants known as Kurokarin also has
antiviral qualities.

You can read more here;

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/102530291/ABSTRACT

Does anyone have or know the components of black currants varieties other
than the Kurokarin variety?

Thanks,
Tom