[NAFEX] Potted Figs?

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Thu Nov 24 08:15:09 EST 2005

Howdy all,

Anyone out there have any suggestions for figs to add to my potted collection of 3?  Information about experiences growing in the North would probably be especially helpful, since figs seem to vary just as much as any other fruit when it comes to matching plant to climate.

My Petite Negri fig fruited beautifully this year (as always)
and is quite delicious.

The Chicago Hardy I got  two years ago produced a few fruits
this summer but tasted watery.  Quite disappointing. .
This is at odds with most assessments of CH I have read so perhaps my
conditions---most probably soil, need improvement.   Perhaps I'll try it in the ground. next year. Has anyone tried the Chicago Hardy outside in zone 3 or 4?

My Green Ischia fruited for the first time this summer.  It was large, quite beautiful, and tasty.  Though it's perhaps not quite up to the quality of the Petite Negri it is well worth growing.

Based on my book research (actually back issues of Pomona ),  I must also try an English Brown Turkey.

Since all these produce most or all their crop quite late, I could probably use a fig that produces a consistent and large breba crop to extend the season

What potted fig would you recommend that offers a good breba crop?  The few breba PN's and Green Ischia's I get every summer are great but like any greedy NAFEXer I'd like more.  Are there other figs that folks have experience with in pots that they'd recommend?  Naturally great flavor is important, but I'd be interested in hearing about figs to avoid, too. For example, I tried Celeste (which clone, God knows) and left it outside to die years ago because I couldn't get it to hold fruits until they were ripe.  Thanks.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI   USDA zone 3 (with pretty good summer heat)