[NAFEX] Summer Topping of Apple Trees

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Wed Nov 23 09:10:59 EST 2005

   Earlier this year, 'Summer Topping of Apple Trees' was a subject of
discussion.  Like others had done, I also had topped my apple trees in early
Spring only to have them 'grow hair', so to speak.  I did not wish to do
that again so I took up the Summer topping suggestion.  It worked.  No
abnormal growth.  New growth sprouted or grew as though the trees hadn't
been topped at all.  If timing makes a difference, I topped my trees when
the fruit was about 3/4" in diameter.  I was installing zip-lock bags and,
when I realized that I couldn't reach the highest fruits, I decided it was a
good time to top the trees.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm