[NAFEX] Persimmons...unstable?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Nov 22 23:41:47 EST 2005

It's about a solid half hour of typing to get everything in, so I'm
going to have to pass for now, at least.  Maybe in a couple days, after
Thanksgiving.
-Lon Rombough

"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
On Nov 22, 2005, at 7:25 PM, Jwlehman at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 11/22/2005 3:05:41 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
mauch1 at aol.com writes:

>  We tend to think of sex being XX and XY related,  but not all
> 'higher' animals work that way.  If I have my  facts write, birds are
> XX and XZ and the females are
>  the XZ.  Turtles sexuality is determined by temperature at
> incubation.

In trees the sex chromosomes are refered to as X & O. Have read why but
don't remember as it isn't important at our level. Diploid plant males
are XX and females XO. So the hexaploid persimmon male would have six X
chromosomes and the females three X and three O chromosomes.

Here comes guess work. That might explain females putting on male
flowers having 3 X's. And why w/o any O chromosomes the males don't put
on perfect flowers, only semi female hence perfect flowers. But this
still doesn't explain Szukis flip flopping like it does.

  OK Lon, enlighten us out here.

  Jerry

All other messages are discarded.
No exceptions.