[NAFEX] Why's of persimmon grafting

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Nov 22 09:07:49 EST 2005

At 07:55 PM 11/21/2005, you wrote:
>Why questions:
>Why, with the greater damage of blowouts, do you prefer bark grafts over
>whip grafting?  On seedling rootstock, the proper diameter for the scion
>is there, if not, I do cleft grafts, which also are stronger than bark
>grafts.  In my lack of experience here, please help me understand the
>attraction of bark grafts for persimmon.
Richard,
The first couple of persimmons I ever did - before anyone told me they were
problematic - were just simple whip grafts, not even whip & tongue.  They
took just fine.
I guess I do bark grafts mainly because they're easy, and work well when
there's a major difference between scion and rootstock diameter - and, I
*think* there's probably increased cambium contact, as compared to a simple
whip.

>Why, compared to apples, pears, pawpaws, mayhaw, cherry, etc, is persimmon
>so particular about removing ALL competing buds on the rootstock?  What
>are the hormonal/physiological reasons that are at play here, that are
>absent in so many other woody plants?
I don't know the whys or wherefores, it just seems to be a bigger concern
with persimmons than with any other species I've dealt with.

LLP