[NAFEX] persimmon grafting

martha_davis at highstream.net martha_davis at highstream.net
Mon Nov 21 23:15:09 EST 2005

I've done some top working of larger trees where I didn't want to cut the whole
thing down.  I did mostly whip and tongue.  The success rate wasn't great, but
it is possible and so far some grafts have lasted several years and fruited.
It was late to make a good multivariety tree.  The things that seemed to make a
difference on success were the shoot vigor that I was grafting to,  the
orientation of the shoot and the amount of sun the shoot had.  More vigor, more
vertical and more sun being better.  Jim Claypool has a multi variety trees near
his office,  one of which has at least 5 varieties on it if not more.  It was
grafted early enough to have them each be major scafold limb which certainly
works the best.

Martha