[NAFEX] A righteous borer tool

Michael Phillips michael at herbsandapples.com
Mon Nov 21 19:33:22 EST 2005

Hi all,

Twenty years of suffering have gone into this discovery, as I've done the
incessant search for damage -- and thus the grub culprits -- caused by the
round-headed appletree borer. In the process, I've probably lost four or so
good pocketknives (misplaced in the grass) and at least a few dozen trees.
All the biology and "trunk clues" are explained in my book, including the
new revised edition, but what's new here is that I've finally discovered the
right tool to go borer hunting. The key is to delve throughout all damaged
cambium and end up with a skewered grub at the end of the search. It turns
out that a 3/8" borer bit (I'm not making up this name! though it's also
known as a spade bit) is a righteous device for poking up the dreaded borer!
Smaller diameter drill bits of this type do not have the spear point. This
bit is plenty sturdy to open up damaged areas, poke gently into suspected
crevices, and absolutely great at delivering the hiding grub from its lowest
hiding tunnel. The goal is to get these bastards in the fall of year one,
and certainly by the subsequent spring. The old idea of using a wire to
follow a deep, winding tunnel is fine, but geez, really: Why not get them
soon after egg hatch with a full thrust jab to the gut? The spade bit is not
unlike a harpoon in this regard.

And if anyone thinks this advice is being offered up by a nut, well then,
you really don't understand how incredibly devastating the borer can be, do
you?

I'll just sign off appropriately . . .

Regards,

Captain Ahab

Michael Phillips

Lost Nation Orchard

859 Lost Nation Road

Groveton, NH 03582

603-636-2286

 <http://www.HerbsAndApples.com> www.HerbsAndApples.com

Book News:  A full-color edition of "Apple Grower", revised and expanded,
filled with all the latest cutting-edge information on organic orcharding,
is Hot Off the Press!  More than 70 new pages have been added, including
many informative charts. Check it all out on our web site, and get in your
holiday orders today.