[NAFEX] Persimmons...unstable?

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 08:11:42 EST 2005

hey all,

This question may be best ask of Jerry, but I was
wondering about persimmon in general. I cant say I
know a great deal about horticulture, but it seem when
it comes to Persimmons all the rules are out the door.
I went down to Lester Davis's place Columbus Ga. to
pick some last weekend.  He often speaks of odd
flowering times,  sports of his names varieties (even
from one branch to the other), and wildly mis-shapened
fruit  that look more like the citrus Buddha's Hand.
Not to mention the whole haploid/triploid thing (which
I do understand fully) and male, female, and perfect
flowers (with out seeds???)

I have to ask are persimmons just geniticly unstable
or do their genes just mutate readily??

Or (more likely) do I just not understand these fruits
at all!?!?

Robert