[NAFEX] "Date plum" persimmon, Diospyros lotus

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 07:45:31 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/18/2005 6:04:45 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
topgun at otelco.net writes:

> I have a "Mexican" persimmon which is said to be evergreen and  still ahve
> in a pot after 6 years. No fruit so far. I would plant it out if I thought
> it would not freeze back. It has choclate colored fruits.
>
> Topgun
> Zone 7

Sounds to me like D. digyna, ever green from Mexico. Large fruits, 3" plus,
black flesh, tastes similar to Kaki mild. It may not bear fruit w/o a
pollinator. They will not tolerate long periods of cool weather, according to
descriptions I've read.

I've tasted them, not bad, not good. :-) I've read they make reasonably good
malted mikes. The ones I tasted weren't sweet and sweet would have made them
better.

Jerry