[NAFEX] "Date plum" persimmon, Diospyros lotus

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 17 13:11:28 EST 2005

Just had a letter from a man in Victoria, BC who asked for a fruit
identification.  It was D. Lotus, and with a big crop.  He said it had
one seed per fruit and was the only tree of the species around, but
there were D. kaki trees nearby.  The D. lotus tree most likely was a
rootstock that had sprouted after the D. kaki top had died.
One complication is that in American, and sometimes in Kaki, female
trees can produce limbs of male flowers.  Males don't usually produce
limbs of female flowers, but under stress, some males have been found
to produce perfect flowers.
There is a lot more about this, but suffice it to say that some
persimmons can set seedless fruit without males around, and some can
produce their own male flowers.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.