[NAFEX] persimmon seed sprouting

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Wed Nov 16 09:45:50 EST 2005

I've never had much difficulty germinating persimmon seeds. I soak
the seed for a few hours after extracting it from the fruit, wash it,
then put it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator along with some
moist potting soil. I take the bag out of the refrigerator after
about three months, keep it in a warm room, and wait for roots to
appear. Once they appear, I pot up individual seeds into deep
containers.

Now, grafting persimmons...that's where I have not been as
successful. I get only about 50 percent take with whip and tongue
grafts made when rootstocks start sprouting leaves. Many persimmon
stems are deciduous, so one theory that I have is that many of the
grafts that don't take were made with stems that would have been
deciduous, so don't live.

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich: