[NAFEX] Paw Paw and Ornamental Thanks

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Thu Nov 10 21:21:24 EST 2005

Hey to the list servers!
I appreciate all those speedy replies to my questions! I know the other American
native Paw Paw species are (most likely) not hardy to Maine, but I was thinking of
maybe a dwarfing understock to grow Paw Paw in large pots, so they could be brought
to a less frosty place than our sterilizing winters.
The good news in my plant life is it looks like I am on the verge of leasing 8
really good tillable acres from a farm right up the road from me for my nursery
endeavors. Probably a 2 to 3 year period before anything is to the level of more
than indirect sales. I also have another friend in town with a small dairy and some
nice land with whom I will be cooperating to plant a stock/scionwood orchard.
Simple arrangement really: I get to plant my stock out and his family gets to eat
lots of various fruits and sell them in various forms. I get to propagate to my
hearts content, and we share some costs. Although I may be speaking too soon, I am
extremely thankful for the opportunity!
In lieu of that news, many of you may find letters in your mailboxes and inboxes
requesting scionwood or other plant material over the years from me. In advance, I
thank you for sharing. To return the favor, I will be setting up a discount or
direct donation via profit percentage for Nafex and other like organisations.
Probably more likely a 5 or 10% discount, because who can be sure of profit? Don't
jump for discount joy too soon, as you haven't seen my prices yet...just kidding!
Maybe in 10 years it'll be something.
One of the things I am looking for is any Bear Creek material that folks have. I
would really like to get that stuff back into circulation. Also, any new possible
seedlings of any sort that you would like trialed and potentially dispersed,
contact me. My first large scale grafting will be winter/spring 2007.
Well, here goes!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine